NAQT is no longer accepting grant applications for 2019–2020. We thank everyone who applied! The remainder of this page serves as documentation of the requirements when we were accepting applications.
In the 2019–2020 competition year, NAQT is offering a series of “Outreach Grants” to support community members interested in expanding quiz bowl in their area.
NAQT will award up to ten grants of up to $1,000 apiece to facilitate projects aimed at “expanding quiz bowl.” This is intended to be a very general goal that would encompass getting new schools/players involved, bringing quiz bowl to new audiences, improving the quality of teams, raising the public profile of the activity, and so on.
Applicants should keep these guidelines in mind:
- There must be a clear connection between the proposal and the goal of expanding quiz bowl.
- Any tournaments, leagues, or other competitions arranged as part of the proposal must use questions provided by NAQT. NAQT does not anticipate providing customized questions for these events: They should be designed to use one of NAQT’s standard types of sets. Proposed events must also use NAQT’s registration system (if appropriate).
- After the conclusion of any supported project, the recipient of the grant must send NAQT a general summary of the event (including expenditures), and make him- or herself available for additional questions from NAQT.
- Any competitions arranged as part of the proposal must have the final scores of their games reported to NAQT (but full statistics, including individual scores, would be preferred). In addition, contact information for all participating schools and coaches must be provided to NAQT.
- All supported events must take place during the 2019–2020 competition year (August 1, 2019 through July 31, 2020). (Applicants may request a grant to establish some sort of ongoing organization or tournament series, but NAQT will only offer grants to meet expenses during the 2019–2020 year; events will need to support themselves financially after the first year.)
- With the exception of NAQT’s members, anybody is welcome to submit a proposal.
- NAQT is especially interested in projects that target the expansion of quiz bowl within underrepresented demographics. (But such a focus is definitely not required for a proposal to be accepted.)
In addition to the grant (up to $1,000), NAQT will provide free questions for proposed competitions during the coming year. NAQT may also be able to help with recruiting staffers, contacting potential participants, designing schedules, finding buzzers, sending mailers, or providing other forms of support. (But applicants will assume the bulk of the responsibility in ensuring that the proposed events happen and are well run.)
To apply for a grant, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org that concisely describes:
- The goal of the project, including significant dates and locations
- The people responsible for the project (and their respective roles)
- The target audience
- The amount requested from NAQT and an approximate budget showing how the money would be spent
- Any additional assistance from NAQT that would be necessary (or helpful) to the proposal’s success
Please keep applications brief (1,000 words or fewer): We may contact you for additional details if the general outline intrigues us.
Proposals are due to NAQT by October 15, 2019. NAQT will review proposals as they come in and will make a final decision on each proposal no later than October 31.
If you have any questions about these outreach grants, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.