Updated Staff Agreement
This is the template staffing agreement that NAQT uses for its national championships since 2019 (with dates and times filled in). The highlighted point was added for the 2019 championship season. NAQT reserves the right to update this statement as it sees fit.
I agree that in exchange for the opportunity to participate as a volunteer at the [tournament name], and for other consideration provided herein, the following terms apply:
- My volunteer assignment at the [tournament name] (the “Tournament”) covers [specific date/time periods]. I understand that these times may be altered slightly by the tournament director.
- I agree to provide volunteer services as needed at the direction of the tournament director, the logistics director, and their designees. Examples of these services include acting as a game official, performing tournament set-up, performing tournament tear-down, and assisting in control rooms. When asked to do so, I will act as an impartial game official. I agree that I will not act in any way that compromises the fairness of the Tournament, and if I discover that other parties have acted, or intend to act, in a manner that compromises the fairness of the Tournament, I will report the conduct to NAQT at the earliest opportunity.
- I understand that this agreement places no restrictions on work that I may do for other quiz bowl organizations, except that I may not publicize or advertise other national organizations’ events or brands at the Tournament itself.
- I agree and acknowledge that I am not an employee of NAQT and I am not entitled to receive wages, benefits, or other compensation. As an independent contractor, I acknowledge that in exchange for my volunteer services, I will receive reimbursement for travel costs; a meal stipend; the provision of lodging (for non-local volunteers); and the opportunity to be an active participant in one of NAQT’s national championship tournaments.
- Photo Release: I understand and acknowledge that at the Tournament, NAQT may take photographs and/or make recordings of the tournament proceedings that might feature my likeness and/or voice. I hereby grant NAQT permission to use images, likenesses, or my voice as recorded in any and all publications, including web-based publications, without payment or other consideration. I understand and agree that the photographs or recordings will become the property of NAQT to do with as it wishes at any time in the future, including publication on the NAQT website, use in advertising materials, and broadcast in any medium. I irrevocably grant NAQT the right to cut, edit, and combine materials for final publication, display, or broadcast. I waive the right to inspect or approve the images, and I waive the right to any royalties or compensation arising or related to the use of my image or recording. I hereby hold harmless, release, and forever discharge NAQT from all claims, demands, and causes of action arising out of the use of any photos or recordings with my image, likeness, or voice pursuant to this photo release.
- I agree to act in a professional manner while discharging my official duties and when unofficially interacting with or talking about tournament participants before, during, and after the event. Acting in a professional manner includes creating a safe, welcoming, and respectful environment. In addition to acting professionally myself, I will promptly report unprofessional actions by staff members and tournament participants to the tournament director (or their designee).
- Either party may terminate this agreement at any time for any reason upon immediate notice, oral or written, to the other party. Such termination relieves me of the responsibility to provide volunteer services under points (1) and (2). Such termination does not affect NAQT’s ability to use photographs and recordings of my likeness and/or voice under point (5). In addition, termination by me may require me to return the reimbursements described under point (4) and may preclude me from receiving the meal stipends and lodging described under point (4).