High School Questions
NAQT provides pristine questions for high school tournaments, conferences, and leagues each year. Tournaments can be run by high schools, community colleges, four-year colleges and universities, civic organizations, or essentially any other group. Events using NAQT questions are qualifiers for the High School National Championship Tournament and the Small School National Championship Tournament each spring.
Hosting a tournament is a great way to raise money for your program, offer your own players a chance to compete cheaply and in a convenient location, and promote quiz bowl.
If you are interested in hosting a high school tournament using NAQT questions, here are the steps to follow:
- Decide on a date, name, and contact person for the tournament. Among other things, you will want to schedule around other tournaments in the same state, SAT/ACT testing dates, and homecoming.
- If your tournament isn’t limited to teams from a specific state, decide on the geographic exclusivity for your tournament. If this isn’t clear, feel free to ask us for advice—we realize the rules are somewhat complicated.
- Decide whether you would prefer a regular Invitational Series or an Introductory Invitational Series. The Introductory Invitational Series sets have easier and shorter questions and are targeted at earlier tournaments, tournaments for less experienced players, or tournaments with many teams that are new to the NAQT format. Both types of sets are available as 12 packets of 24 tossups and 24 bonuses each, or 13 packets of 22 tossups and 22 bonuses each. There are sample packets of each type of packet set available. (Other types of packet sets may be available; contact email@example.com for details.)
- Let NAQT know of your plans. You can submit a tournament proposal online, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone us at 888‑411‑6278 (“NAQT”).
- NAQT will confirm whether questions are available on the requested date in the requested geographical area; until you receive confirmation, do not assume that we have approved your order and plan on shipping questions.
- Proceed with other tournament plans. Your questions will arrive about one week before your tournament begins. We may or may not be able to accommodate requests for earlier delivery. We will ship one printed copy of your questions; you will be responsible for making any necessary copies. We will not normally distribute electronic copies of our questions.
- You will be invoiced for the cost of the questions after the tournament has completed; send NAQT a check or purchase order for the appropriate amount.
What is the cost of NAQT packets?
There is a flat cost of $85, of which $50 is rebated when we receive appropriate results, and an additional charge per team of $16 for Invitational Series and $13 for Introductory Invitational Series.
Hosts may give printed copies to participating schools. Note that no more than one (printed) copy may be sold or distributed to each school in attendance.
One important thing to note is that geographic exclusivity does not affect who may attend a tournament! However, schools that travel to distant tournaments may find that they have to pass on a closer tournament that uses the same set of questions. NAQT’s Invitational Series are used for many events across the country; it is the responsibility of the hosts to clearly announce the name and number of the set that they will be using and the responsibility of teams to remember which sets they have heard that year or to look at our list of assigned sets to guarantee question security. Please read the full description of the various parties’ responsibilities in maintaining question security. Our online registration system, offered free to hosts, makes this easier.
To encourage the growth of quiz bowl, we will also provide free questions for high school tournaments in areas that did not have an open qualifying high school event the previous year. Follow the link to see if your area qualifies; there is no limit on the number of tournaments that make take advantage of this offer within a single state.
What benefits does NAQT provide to hosts?
- Top finishers will qualify for the High School National Championship Tournament and, if Small Schools are playing, for the Small School National Championship Tournament.
- We offer a comprehensive online system for managing tournament registrations—the same one we use for our national championships. Hosts of events on NAQT questions may use it for free.
- We will happily help hosts with issues such as determining proper tournament formats, reaching out to new teams, and scheduling.
- We will provide access to our contact database for the tournament’s area.
- We will advertise the tournament on our website and in e-mail notifications to which potential attendees subscribe.
- In some states, we will advertise the tournament in physical mailers. (Feel free to ask about our plans for mailers in your state!)
- We supply rules, scoresheets, and other necessary forms ready for photocopying with every order.
If you have trouble deciding what to do about any of these issues, we are always happy to provide expert advice; just e-mail email@example.com with your questions. In fact, if you have any questions about running a successful tournament, we will do our best to answer them. You can also call us at 888‑411‑6278 (“NAQT”).