Buzzer System Discount Policy
Teams participating in NAQT’s national championship tournaments may earn discounts on their registration fees by bringing buzzer systems. The exact amount of the discount will vary from tournament to tournament.
However, the discounts are only available for qualifying systems; in particular, a buzzer system must have these features:
- It must clearly indicate which player (not merely which team) has signaled.
- It must lock out all subsequent attepts to signal until the moderator has cleared it.
- It must “beep,” “buzz,” or provide other audible feedback when a player signals.
- It must have at least four working lights for each team; additional, non-working lights are acceptable, but a system with five working red-team lights and three working green-team lights is not (even though there are eight total working lights).
- It must use standard North American power (120 V AC, 60 Hz, type A or B plug) or standard batteries of type AA, AAA, C, D, or 9V. If it is battery-powered, a working battery (or set of batteries, if multiple batteries are required) must be provided.
In addition, these broad classes of buzzers will not be accepted for discounts at the present time:
- Wireless systems
- Any system requiring a laptop, desktop, gaming console, or other computer to function. (This is true even if such a computer is provided by the team.)
NAQT will test each provided buzzer system prior to the beginning of the championship; if a system fails to meet the above criteria, the discount will be rescinded.
In addition, NAQT’s buzzer system discounts assume that the system will be available for use through the end of the tournament. (The exact time will be specified on each tournament’s schedule page.) Barring true emergencies, teams will not be able to reclaim their systems prior to this. For instance, an MSNCT team that plans to drive home on Saturday evening if it doesn’t qualify for the playoffs should not bring a buzzer system because the system will not be available for return on Saturday night.