Power Up: Focus on American Poetry: Pretest
This is the diagnostic pretest for the Power Up: Focus on American Poetry, the first of NAQT’s line of Power Up study guides.
A printable version with answer blanks suitable for distribution to a group of players is available for download, as is the answer key.
- The line “and miles to go before I sleep” is repeated at the end of “Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening,” a poem by what author?
- What “Fireside Poet” wrote the long work The Song of Hiawatha, inspired by Native American mythology?
- Colonial poet Anne Bradstreet’s major collection is titled for what figure “lately sprung up in America”?
- On what large work of art is Emma Lazarus’s poem “The New Colossus” inscribed?
- Langston Hughes and Countee Cullen were members of what largely African-American literary and cultural movement of the early 20th century?
- What long poem, which begins ”I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness,” was written by Allen Ginsberg, a member of the “Beat Generation”?
- What female poet wrote the collection Ariel and the poem “Daddy”?
- What poet praised the “City of the Big Shoulders” in his poem “Chicago”?
- “April is the cruellest month” is the first line of what long poem by T. S. Eliot?
- Emily Dickinson was known as the “Belle” of what Massachusetts town, where she spent most of her adult life as a recluse in her family home?
- What poet described sounding his “barbaric yawp” in his poem “Song of Myself”?
- What 19th-century American poet wrote “Thanatopsis” and “To a Waterfowl”?
- What poet’s unusual punctuation and capitalization are on display in “anyone lived in a pretty how town”?
- What man wrote of a creature that repeats the word “nevermore” in his poem “The Raven”?
- The two-line poem “In a Station of the Metro” was written by what Modernist and Imagist poet, who also wrote the Cantos?
- Robert Lowell wrote a poem set in Boston titled for the “dead” of an army that fought what war?
- Poet Joyce Kilmer wrote “I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as” what natural object?
- William Carlos Williams wrote that “so much depends upon” what object, which is “beside the white chickens”?
- What 20th-century poet wrote the collection Harmonium, which contains “Sunday Morning” and “The Emperor of Ice Cream”?
- What African-American poet from Chicago wrote the poem “We Real Cool”?