Power Up: Focus on Chinese History: Pretest
This is the diagnostic pretest for the Power Up: Focus on Chinese History, the fourth of NAQT’s line of Power Up study guides.
A printable version with answer blanks suitable for distribution to a group of players is available for download, as is the answer key.
- What Chinese city hosted the Olympics in 2008?
- What member of the Qin Dynasty was the first emperor of a unified China?
- What man, who developed the Three Principles of the People, was a co-founder of the Kuomintang?
- What other Asian country presented the “21 Demands” to China during the early 20th century?
- What possibly mythical dynasty preceded the Shang and is said to be the first Chinese dynasty?
- What campaign with a botanical name was implemented by Mao Zedong and ostensibly allowed intellectuals to criticize Communism?
- What was the final dynasty to rule China?
- The book Il Milione describes what European traveler’s visit to the court of Kublai Khan?
- Xuanzong ordered the death of Yang Guifei, one of China’s ”four beauties,” after her family played a role in what rebellion, named after a Turkic warlord, that rivaled the Tang Dynasty in the middle of the 8th century?
- Members of the Communist Party in China were ordered to carry what text, which contains quotations of Mao Zedong?
- Confucius lived during what seasonally named period of Chinese history, which occurred during the Zhou Dynasty?
- What man led pro-market reforms as the “paramount leader” of China for most of the 1980s, including during the Tiananmen Square Protests?
- What Chinese dynasty did the explorer Zheng He serve?
- What 19th-century revolt started by Hong Xiuquan was put down by the “Ever-Victorious Army?”
- What historian died in 86 BC and wrote the Shiji, or the Records of the Grand Historian?
- What area was made a colony of Great Britain at the end of the First Opium War, and was transferred back to China in 1997?
- The 14th holder of what position, the head of Tibetan Buddhism, is currently living in exile?
- Which Chinese dynasty shares its name with the largest ethnic group of China?
- The Yangdi Emperor of the Sui Dynasty is credited with creating the “Grand” example of what kind of waterway for China?
- Francis Xavier and Matteo Ricci were members of what Catholic order, which sent missionaries to China in the 16th century?