Power Up: Focus on Italian Renaissance Painting: Pretest
This is the diagnostic pretest for the Power Up: Focus on Italian Renaissance Painting, the second of NAQT’s line of Power Up study guides.
A printable version with answer blanks suitable for distribution to a group of players is available for download, as is the answer key.
- What artist was commissioned by Julius II to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
- What portrait is also known as La Gioconda?
- What artist decorated the Stanza della Segnatura with the frescoes The Parnassus and The School of Athens?
- A refectory wall in the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie contains what painter’s Last Supper?
- What artist painted Primavera and The Birth of Venus?
- What artist painted The Venus of Urbino?
- What artist created a self-portrait in flayed skin held by St. Bartholomew in his The Last Judgment?
- Raphael painted what religious figure “of the meadow“ and “of the goldfinch“?
- Tintoretto and Titian were members of the artistic “school“ of what Italian city?
- The Renaissance gave way to what artistic style that was practiced by Parmigianino, and which emphasized elongated forms?
- What technique, which was invented during the Renaissance and reached its peak later in the paintings of Caravaggio, has a name meaning “light-dark“ in Italian?
- What art museum in Florence has a name meaning “offices“?
- In Renaissance painting, Mary was often depicted wearing what color, produced by a costly pigment made from crushing a gemstone called lapis lazuli?
- During which phase of the Renaissance were Giotto, Verrocchio, and Piero della Francesca most activeâthe early, middle, or late?
- What teacher of Titian painted The Three Philosophers and The Tempest?
- What artist worked with Masolino to paint the walls of the Brancacci Chapel with the paintings The Expulsion and The Tribute Money?
- What characteristic is shared by the most famous Italian painters whose surnames are Anguissola and Gentileschi?
- What painting of a celebration by Paolo Veronese originally was housed in the monastery of San Giorgio Maggiore?
- The Annunciation is depicted in the Cortona Triptych by what painter, who was also a Dominican friar?
- What saint is shown bound to a column and being martyred in a painting by Perugino?