Power Up: Focus on Psychology & Linguistics: Pretest
This is the diagnostic pretest for the Power Up: Focus on Psychology & Linguistics, the sixth of NAQT’s line of Power Up study guides.
A printable version with answer blanks suitable for distribution to a group of players is available for download, as is the answer key.
- Subjects judged the lengths of lines in an experiment performed by Solomon Asch on what group phenomenon?
- What law describes a series of sound changes beginning with voiceless stops becoming voiceless fricatives, which affected the Germanic languages?
- The James-Lange theory and the Cannon-Bard theory are approaches to what psychological phenomenon?
- Categories such as ISTJ and ESFJ are possible results on what personality test?
- What stage, in which children develop object permanence, is the first of the four stages in Jean Piaget’s theory of cognitive development?
- What university was the site of an experiment whose subjects played the roles of prisoners and guards, conducted by Philip Zimbardo?
- Kurt Koffka and Max Wertheimer are members of what psychological school, which started in Germany in the early 20th century?
- What thinker hypothesized that human psychology is driven by patterns called archetypes, including the animus and the anima?
- What component joins the ego and the superego in Sigmund Freud’s theory of the psyche?
- The Celtic, Romance, and Germanic language families all belong to what larger language family?
- What psychologist had subjects deliver fake electric shocks to a learner in his obedience experiment?
- What linguist outlined his theory of generative grammar in the book Syntactic Structures?
- Self-actualization is at the top of what pyramidal construct devised by Abraham Maslow?
- Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance are the five stages in a popular model of what psychological process?
- What Austrian psychoanalyst who broke from Freud argued for the importance of the inferiority complex in psychology?
- What psychologist used classical conditioning to make dogs salivate when they heard the ringing of a bell?
- John B. Watson and B. F. Skinner adopted what psychological approach, which focuses on observable actions rather than mental phenomena?
- The Stanford-Binet test and the Wonderlic test are used to measure what value?
- The phonological loop and the visuospatial sketchpad are components of the “working” form of what faculty?
- What Swiss linguist distinguished between the synchronic and diachronic study of language in his book Course in General Linguistics?