Middle School Questions
NAQT provides pristine middle school quiz bowl questions for tournaments, conferences, leagues, and state championships. Tournaments will be qualifiers for the Middle School National Championship Tournament (MSNCT) each spring. Any institution may choose to host an event, including middle schools, high schools, community colleges, colleges, as well as any other organization with an interest in middle school academic competition.
Hosting a tournament is a great way to raise money for your program, offer your own players a chance to compete cheaply and in a convenient location, and promote quiz bowl.
How to Host
If you are interested in hosting a middle school tournament using NAQT questions, here are the steps to follow:
- Decide on a date, name, and contact person for the tournament. When choosing the date, you will want to schedule around other tournaments in the same area, and possibly other special events like dances, major sports games, and theatre productions.
- Let NAQT know of your plans. You can submit a tournament proposal online, e-mail us at email@example.com, or phone us at 888‑411‑6278 (“NAQT”).
- NAQT will confirm whether questions are available on the requested date in the requested area; until you receive confirmation, do not assume that we have approved your tournament and plan on shipping questions.
- Announce your tournament and contact potential attendees. Be sure to read the full description of the various parties’ responsibilities in maintaining question security and incorporate it into your announcement. Our registration system, offered free to hosts, makes this easier.
- Proceed with other tournament plans. Your questions will arrive about one week before your tournament begins. We may or may not be able to accommodate requests for earlier delivery. We will ship one printed copy of your questions; you will be responsible for making any necessary copies. We will not normally distribute electronic copies of our questions.
- You will be invoiced for the cost of the questions after the tournament has completed; send NAQT a check or purchase order for the appropriate amount.
NAQT produces four Middle School Series sets each year. Each set contains ten packets of questions; each packet contains 24 tossups and 24 bonus quetsions.
The cost of the packets has two components: a flat cost of $85 (of which $50 is rebated when we receive the results of your tournament) plus $11 per team in attendance. However, questions are free in places that did not have a qualifying event in the previous year.
NAQT does not have a formal geographic exclusivity policy for middle school events (as it does for high school events), but will work with interested hosts to minimize date conflicts and field overlap.
Some middle school events have been run on NAQT’s Introductory Invitational Series, which are intended for a high school audience. Middle school tournaments may continue to do that, and such tournaments will be treated as qualifiers for the MSNCT. Note that Introductory Invitational Series sets will be noticeably harder than NAQT’s Middle School Series.
Free Question Offer
In certain areas, NAQT offers free questions.
Copies of the Questions
Hosts are strongly encouraged to give one printed copy of the complete question set to each school in attendance. Electronic copies may never be distributed.
Benefits for Hosts
- Top finishers will qualify for the Middle School National Championship Tournament.
- We offer a comprehensive online system for managing tournament registrations—the same one we use for our national championships. Hosts of events on NAQT questions may use it for free.
- We will happily help hosts with issues such as determining proper tournament formats, reaching out to new teams, and scheduling.
- We will provide access to our contacts in the tournament’s area.
- We will advertise the tournament on our website and in e-mail notifications to which potential attendees may subscribe.
- In some states, we will advertise the tournament in physical mailers. (Feel free to ask about our plans for mailers in your state!)
- Hosts may (but are not required to) use our rules and scoresheets.