Hosting Middle School Tournaments
NAQT provides pristine middle school quiz bowl questions for regular-season tournaments, conferences, leagues, and state championships. Tournaments will be qualifiers for the Middle School National Championship Tournament (MSNCT) each spring. Any institution may choose to host an event, including middle schools, high schools, community colleges, colleges, as well as any other organization with an interest in middle school academic competition.
Hosting a tournament is a great way to raise money for your program, offer your own players a chance to compete cheaply and in a convenient location, and promote quiz bowl.
If you are interested in hosting a middle school tournament using NAQT questions, here are the steps to follow:
- Decide on a date, name, and contact person for the tournament. When choosing the date, you will want to schedule around other tournaments in the same area.
- Let NAQT know of your plans. You can submit a tournament proposal online, e-mail us at email@example.com, or phone us at 888‑411‑6278 (“NAQT”).
- NAQT will confirm whether questions are available on the requested date in the requested location; until you receive confirmation, do not assume that we have approved your order.
- Proceed with other tournament plans. Your questions will arrive about one week before your tournament begins. We may or may not be able to accommodate requests for earlier delivery. We will ship one printed copy of your questions; you will be responsible for making any necessary copies. We will not normally distribute electronic copies of our questions.
- You will be invoiced for the cost of the questions after the tournament has completed; send NAQT a check or purchase order for the appropriate amount.
NAQT produces four Middle School Series sets each year; each set contains ten packets of questions, and each packet contains 24 tossups and 24 bonus quetsions.
The cost of the packets has two components: a flat cost of $85 (of which $50 is rebated when we receive the results of your tournament) plus $11 per team in attendance. However, questions are free for states, provinces, and countries that did not have a qualifying tournament in the previous year.
NAQT does not have a formal geographic exclusivity policy for middle school events, but will work with interested hosts to minimize date conflicts and field overlap. We anticipate instituting a policy similar to that for our high school sets in subsequent years.
NAQT has a database of middle school teams that will be made available to hosts to help them locate and invite competitors.
Some middle school events have been run on NAQT’s Introductory Invitational Series, which are intended for a high school audience. Middle school tournaments may continue to do that, and such tournaments will be treated as qualifiers for the MSNCT. Note that Introductory Invitational Series sets will be noticeably harder than NAQT’s Middle School Series.
What benefits does NAQT provide to hosts?
- Top finishers will qualify for the Middle School National Championship Tournament.
- We offer a comprehensive online system for managing tournament registrations—the same one we use for our national championships. Hosts of events on NAQT questions may use it for free.
- We will happily help hosts with issues such as determining proper tournament formats, reaching out to new teams, and scheduling.
- We will provide access to our contact database for the tournament’s area.
- We will advertise the tournament on our website and in e-mail notifications to which potential attendees subscribe.
- In some states, we will advertise the tournament in physical mailers. (Feel free to ask about our plans for mailers in your state!)
- We supply rules, scoresheets, and other necessary forms ready for photocopying with every order.
If you have trouble deciding what to do about any of these issues, we are always happy to provide expert advice; just e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions. In fact, if you have any questions about running a successful tournament, we will do our best to answer them. You can also call us at 888‑411‑6278 (“NAQT”).