Quiz bowl can be a daunting world for new players to step into. Even with three teammates, the challenge involved in being able to answer questions on pretty much anything that might have been covered in school—plus material that goes beyond coursework!—is a significant one. It’s no easy task for a coach to have a team ready to meet that challenge year after year.
NAQT’s series of Power Up study guides help players fill holes in their knowledge by quickly getting up to speed on specific topics. Each study guide focuses on a fairly subject, with a goal of getting a completely new player to a level of consistently scoring points on questions typical of NAQT’s Regular Invitational Series.
Each Power Up study guide contains the following materials, which designed for reuse from year to year:
- A diagnostic Pretest for assessing which players could benefit from the study guide. In most cases this pretest will also be available on the NAQT web site (for free) so that coaches can assess their players without having to purchase the study guide.
- Topic Lists with core information that players need to learn.
- Practice Questions taken from NAQT’s past tournament sets on which students’ progress can be evaluated.
- Topic Cards for use in optional drills and supplemental question-writing projects.
- A Posttest for measuring a player’s performance after using the study guide; students’ scores can be compared to their pretest scores.
- A Coach’s Guide for getting the most out of the Power Up materials.
The following Power Up study guides are available so far. We continue to release new Power Up study guides.
- American Poetry
- Chinese History
- Earth Science
- Italian Renaissance Painting
- Modern Classical Music
- Psychology and Linguistics
Each Power Up study guide costs $24.