Power Up: Focus on Modern Classical Music
Power Up: Focus on Modern Classical Music is a study guide, part of NAQT’s series of Power Up study guides, that educates players about topics in post-1875 classical music that often come up in quiz bowl.
The study guide contains the following:
- A diagnostic Pretest for assessing which players could benefit from the guide. This quiz is also available on the NAQT website for free so that coaches can judge whether the study guide will be useful to their players.
- Laminated Topic Lists with core information that players need to learn.
- Practice Questions taken from NAQT’s past tournament sets on which students’ progress can be evaluated.
- Topic Cards for use in optional drills and supplemental question-writing projects.
- A Posttest for measuring a player’s performance after using the study guide; students’ scores can be compared to their diagnostic scores.
- A Coach’s Guide for getting the most out of the Power Up materials.
The Power Up study guide suggests these books for further reading:
- The Rest is Noise, by Alex Ross
- The Oxford History of Western Music, by Richard Taruskin—either volume 4 (Music in the Early Twentieth Century) and volume 5 (Music in the Late Twentieth Century), or the condensed College Edition that covers everything
- Twentieth-Century Music: A History of Musical Style in Modern Europe and America, by Robert P. Morgan (part of the Norton Introduction to Music History series)
- Music in the Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries, by Joseph Auner (part of the Western Music in Context: a Norton History series)